|Ramón Salaverría (PhD) (born in Burgos, Spain, in 1970). I am Associate Professor of Journalism –a position reached by national public examination– in the School of Communication at the University of Navarra (Pamplona, Spain), where I am currently a board member of its Center for Internet Studies and Digital Life.
In the academic year 2014-15, I worked as Visiting Scholar at the Digital Media Research Program of The Annette Strauss for Civic Life, bound to the College of Communication at the University of Texas — Austin (USA). I have also been honoured as a Visiting Professor of the School of Social Sciences at the University of Concepción (Chile), and the School of Philosophy at the National University of Asunción (Paraguay).
I hold a Bachelor of Arts (June 1993) and a Doctorate (February 1998) in Journalism from the University of Navarra. After passing my PhD, I was awarded the Extraordinary Doctorate Award in the School of Communication of the University of Navarra for his thesis The news story in journalism handbooks (‘La noticia en los manuales de periodismo’).
Then, that same School appointed me as a Director of the Multimedia Communication Laboratory (MMLab) (1998-2008), the first university centre in Spain studying innovation in digital media. I oversaw a team of between 5 and 10 researchers throughout this period. While in this position, I led research projects on the editorial models of online news media.
In 2008 I was promoted to the post of Director of the Department of Journalism Projects of the same University, a teaching and research unit on print, broadcast and online journalism, with a faculty and staff of more than 60. I hold this position until June 2014, from which I focused my research efforts on the trends of convergence at the heart of media companies.In parallel, I have taken over other management responsibilities, both at a national and, more frecuently, a European scale. Specifically, I took on six consecutive management positions in European scientific societies:
- From 2002 to 2006 I was a member, representing Spain, of the Management Committee of the COST A20 project, “The Impact of the Internet on the Mass Media in Europe”, funded by the COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) network from the European Union.
- From 2005 to 2006 I was vice-chair of the Journalism Section of the European Consortium for Communications Research (ECCR).
- Later on, in the 2006-2008 and 2008-2010 biennia, I was elected as vice-chair of the Journalism Studies Section of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA), the main European organization for communication researchers.
- Between 2010 and 2012, I was elected chair of the aforementioned Journalism Studies Section of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA). During this term, I was the Scientific Director of the Annual Conference of this section (Pamplona, July 2011), and I took on the responsibility of organizing the Journalism area for the European Communication Conference (Istanbul, October 2012). At the end of his tenure, the section had more than 300 affiliated European researchers.
- Since 2010, I am the only Spanish member of the World Journalism Education Council (WJEC), based on the United States.
- Finally, in 2013 the Spanish Society of Journalism Studies (Sociedad Española de Periodística – SEP) invited me to contribute as a leader of the European expansion of this scientific association.
Regarding my research production, I am the author of more than 200 academic publications, including books, research papers, book chapters, professional reports and reviews. These are some of the academic journals in which I have published my research:
- Journal of Communication
- Journalism Studies
- Digital Journalism
- International Communication Gazette
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
- Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism
- Communications: The European Journal of Communication Research
- Brazilian Journalism Research
- Comunicação e Sociedade
- Communication & Society / Comunicación y Sociedad
- El Profesional de la Información
- Mediatika: Cuadernos de Medios de Comunicación.
During the last years I have been interviewed and/or quoted by leading newspapers and other media outlets from several countries:
- Spain — El País, El Mundo, ABC, La Vanguardia, El Periódico de Catalunya, Diario de Navarra, Heraldo de Aragón, La Voz de Galicia, Canarias 7 and many other print, audiovisual, radio and internet media.
- USA — Associated Press, Christian Science Monitor, Columbia Journalism Review
- United Kingdon — The Guardian
- Brazil — O Estado de Sao Paulo, A Gazeta, Diário de Pernambuco, Diário do Nordeste, Gazeta do Povo…
- Colombia — El Tiempo, El País
- Argentina — La Nación
- Chile — El Sur
- Portugal — Público
- Venezuela — El Universal
- Peru — El Comercio
- Slovakia — Denník N
- Panama — La Prensa
I have been the main researcher at several competitive projects, funded by national public institutions. In particular, during the last decade, I have been the head researcher of the following projects included in the National Plan for Research, Development and Innovation (R&D&I), funded by the Government of Spain:
- The impact of the Internet in Spanish mass media (‘El impacto de Internet en los medios de comunicación en España’) (2003-2005). 12 researchers. Ramón Salaverría’s role: Main researcher of a sub-project. Budget: 20,000 €, approx.
- Digital convergence in the mass media (‘Convergencia digital en los medios de comunicación’) (2006-2009). 25 researchers. Ramón Salaverría’s role: Investigador principal. Ramón Salaverría’s role: Main researcher of the coordinated project and of a sub-project. Budget: 20,000 €, approx.
- Evolution of Spanish online media in the frame of convergence. Multiplatform and journalistic integration (‘Evolución de los cibermedios españoles en el marco de la convergencia. Multiplataforma e integración periodística) (2010-2012). 15 researchers. Ramón Salaverría’s role: Main researcher of a sub-project. Budget: 26,900 €.
- Innovation and development of online media in Spain: business models and multiplatform coordination (‘Innovación y desarrollo de los cibermedios en España: modelos de negocio y coordinación multiplataforma’) (2013-2015). 13 researchers. Ramón Salaverría’s role: Main researcher of a sub-project. Budget: 30,000 €.
I also took part as a researcher in the COST Action A20 project “The Impact of the Internet on the Mass Media in Europe” (2001-2006), in which researchers from 21 European countries worked with a 300,000 € fund from the European Science Foundation. Within this project I was, among other roles, Scientific Director of its second international conference, and editor of the collective book Towards new media paradigms: content, producers, organisations and audiences (Eunate, Pamplona, 2004, 887 pages).
Additionally, I was a member researcher of an inter-university cooperation project with Brazil, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science: “Journalism in the Internet: a comparative study of Spanish-Brazilian online media” (2007-2008). Because of this project, I completed a month-long stay at the Federal University of Salvador de Bahia as a guest researcher in July 2008.
I have made 4 international research stays, totaling 16 months abroad:
- Northwestern University (Evanston, IL, USA). Research assistant at the Medill School of Journalism. 2 months, 1996.
- Columbia University (New York, NY, USA). Researcher at the Graduate School of Journalism. 1 month, 1998.
- Universidade Federal de Bahia (Salvador de Bahia, Brazil). Guest researcher. 1 month, 2008.
- The University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX, USA). Visiting Scholar at the Moody College of Communication. 12 months, 2014-2015.
I have been the director of 5 PhD theses:
- Yezers’ka, Lyudmyla: The first decade of Peruvian journalism on the Internet (1995-2005). An analysis of the digital editions of general information newspapers (‘La primera década del periodismo peruano en Internet (1995-2005). Análisis de las ediciones digitales de los diarios de información general’). Defended: April 2007. Grade: Pass cum laude.
- Iturbe Mach, Miguel: The ordered participation of the public in the news media. The case of BBC.co.uk (‘La participación ordenada del público en los medios de comunicación. El caso de BBC.co.uk’). Defended: December 2012. Grade: Pass cum laude.
- Negredo Bruna, Samuel Pedro: In-house video production in online news media. An analysis of Elpaís.com, Elmundo.es, Lavanguardia.com and Lainformación.com (‘El vídeo de producción original en cibermedios. Análisis de Elpaís.com, Elmundo.es, Lavanguardia.com y Lainformación.com’). Defended: February 2013. Grade: Pass cum laude.
- Lerma Amado, Antonio: Technology convergence of television with internet. Sistematization of the WebTV in Spain (Convergencia tecnológica de la televisión con internet. Sistematización de las WebTV en España). Defended: December 12, 2013. Co-director of the thesis togethet with Dr. Guillermo López García. Universitat de València (Facultad de Filologia, Traducción y Comunicación). Grade: Pass cum laude.
- Sigaud-Sellos, Pedro: Multiplatform Journalism on mobile devices: comparative analysis of four quality papers from Brazil and Spain (Periodismo multiplataforma en dispositivos móviles. Análsis comparativo de cuatro diarios de referencia en Brasil y España). Defended: July 14, 2014. Grade: Pass (A).
I belong currently, by invitation, to the editorial board of 10 scientific journals and academic book collections in Spain, Portugal, Brazil and Peru:
- El Profesional de la Información (Spain); member of the Consulting Board.
- Estudos em Comunicação (Portugal); member of the Scientific Board.
- Hipertext.net – Anuario Académico sobre Documentación Digital y Comunicación Interactiva (Spain); member of the Consulting Board.
- Mediatika. Cuadernos de Medios de Comunicación, Eusko Ikaskuntza – Sociedad de Estudios Vascos – Society for Basque Studes (Spain); member of the Scientific Committee.
- OBS – Observatorio (Portugal); Advisory Editor.
- Textual & Visual Media, Sociedad Española de Periodística (Spanish Society of Journalism Studies – SEP) (Spain); member of the Editorial Board.
- El Profesional de la Información (EPI) book collection of Editorial UOC (Spain); member of the Scientific Committee.
Dígitos (University of Valencia, Spain); member of the Scientific Committee.
- Revista Observatório (Universidade Federal de Tocantins, Brazil); member of the Editorial Board.
- Revista de Comunicación (Universidad de Piura, Peru); member of the External Editorial Board.
I have collaborated as reviewer in 23 scientific journals from seven countries:
- USA (4)
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
- New Media & Society
- The Information Society
- The Open Communication Journal
- UK (3)
- European Journal of Communication
- International Communication Gazette
- Journalism. Theory, Practice and Criticism
- Brazil (1)
- Brazilian Journalism Research
- Colombia (2)
- Revista Científica Guillermo de Ockham
- Signo y Pensamiento
- Spain (9)
- Ámbitos: Revista Internacional de Comunicación
- Communication & Society
- El Profesional de la Información
- Fonseca Journal of Communication
- Mediatika: Cuadernos de Medios de Comunicación
- Revista Alicantina de Estudios Ingleses
- Zer. Revista de estudios de comunicación
- Portugal (3)
- Estudos em Comunicação
- Global Media Journal
- OBS – Observatorio
- Venezuela (1)
- Enl@ce: Revista Venezolana de Información, Tecnología y Conocimiento
I have also contributed for several years as a reviewer of research projects in Spain, for the National Plan for Research, Development and Innovation (R&D&I) from the Government of Spain, invited by the General Direction for Research Projects, and by the National Agency for Evaluation and Prospective (Agencia Nacional de Evaluación y Prospectiva – ANEP), respectively.
In addittion, I have been invited to contribute as a referee of international research projects, appointed by different R+D agencies and universities:
- European Research Council (1) — External evaluator of highly competitive research for the ‘ERC Starting Grant – 2014’, in the field of ‘The Social World, Diversity and Common Ground’ .
- Chile (1) — International reviewer of research projects in 2012 appointed by the Government of Chile, through its National Fund for Scientific and Technological Development (Fondo Nacional de Desarrollo Científico y Tecnológico – FONDECYT).
- Estonia (1) — International reviewer of research projects in 2013 appointed by the Estonian Research Council (ETAg).
- Austria (1) — External referee appointed in 2014 by the University of Vienna for the election of a full professorship of Journalism at the Department of Communication — Faculty of Social Sciences.
Currently, I am member of 4 scientific associations:
- European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA). Member of the Journalism Studies Section. In the past, chair (2010-2012) and vice-chair (2006-2008; 2008-2010) of the Journalism Studies Section.
- International Communication Association (ICA). Member of the Journalism Studies Division, since November 2013.
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC). Member since May 2016.
- Sociedad Española de Periodística (SEP). Member since 2012.
In the past, I was member of the European Consortium of Communication Research (ECCR), where I served as vice-chair of the Journalism Studies Section (2005-2006). I was also member of the Eusko Ikaskuntza – Sociedad de Estudios Vascos (2009-2011).
I have given lectures and keynotes in 31 countries: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom (UK), United States of America (USA), Uruguay and Venezuela.
As for undergraduate teaching, I am a professor in the School of Communication of the University of Navarra of the following two courses: Cyberjournalism (‘Ciberperiodismo’, 6 ECTS) and News reporting and research (‘Documentación periodística’, 3 ECTS). In the past, I was also a lecturer in other undergraduate courses such as Written communication (‘Comunicación escrita’), Specialized journalism (‘Periodismo especializado’) and Information Technology (‘Tecnología de la información’).
In relation to graduate teaching, I currently contribute as a guest professor in 7 programmes (3 in Spain, 2 in Brazil, 1 in Portugal, 1 in Chile):
- Master em Jornalismo – Gestão de Empresas de Comunicação. Instituto Internacional de Ciências Sociais. São Paulo, Brazil. Since 1998.
- Máster de Investigación en Comunicación (MIC). School of Communication – University of Navarra. Pamplona, Spain. Since 2012.
- Máster Ejecutivo en Gestión de Empresas de Comunicación (MEGEC). School of Communication – University of Navarra. Madrid, Spain. Since 2013.
- Programa Avançado em Jornalismo Digital. Instituto Internacional de Ciências Sociais. São Paulo, Brazil. Since 2008.
- Mestrado em Comunicação, Cultura e Tecnologias da Informação. ISCTE-Instituto Universitário de Lisboa (ISCTE-IUL), Lisboa, Portugal. Since 2012.
- Magíster en Gestión de la Comunicación. Universidad de Concepción. Concepción, Chile (2 years, 2012, 2015).
- Máster en Periodismo y Comunicación Digital EAE. EAE Business School y Grupo Atresmedia, Madrid (España). Since 2015.
During the last decade, I have contributed as a guest professor in yet 9 more graduate programmes (7 in Spain, 1 in Ukraine, 1 in Guatemala, and 1 in Colombia):
- Máster en Edición Periodística de «La Voz de Galicia». La Voz de Galicia and Universidade da Coruña. A Coruña, Spain (11 years, 2001-2011).
- Máster en Periodismo y Comunicación Digital. Instituto Universitario de Posgrado, IUP. Madrid, Spain (4 years, 2007-2010).
- Máster Joly en Periodismo. Joly Group and EOI Business School. Seville, Spain (3 years, 2007-2009).
- Máster en Comunicación y Periodismo. Universidad de Zaragoza and Heraldo de Aragón. Zaragoza, Spain (1 year, 2008).
- Máster Oficial en Comunicación Digital Interactiva. Universitat de Vic. Barcelona, Spain (2 years, 2008-2009).
- Máster Oficial en Periodismo Avanzado. Reporterismo. Universidad Ramón Llull. Barcelona, Spain (4 years, 2008-2011).
- Máster de Periodismo Global. Universidad de Sevilla. Seville, Spain (1 years, 2011).
- Digital Future for Journalism Program. National University “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”, Kiev, Ukraine (4 years, 2008-2011).
- Posgrado en Innovación Periodística. Facultad de Comunicación, Universidad del Istmo. Guatemala City, Guatemala (1 year, 2013).
- Maestría en Periodismo y Comunicación Digital. Universidad de La Sabana, Bogotá (Colombia) (2 years, 2013 and 2015).
Besides these graduate programmes, I have also taught several in-house, professional training courses for 24 journalism companies, both Spanish and international. In Spain, I have trained journalists from 6 editorial groups:
- Corporación Voz
- Grupo Vocento
- Grupo La Información S.A.
- Diari de Terrassa
- Diario de Noticias
- Corporación RTVA
In Latin America, I have trained journalists in 18 media companies, based in 8 countries:
- Brazil (9)
- Grupo Estado (São Paulo)
- Grupo Abril (São Paulo)
- Grupo RBS (Porto Alegre)
- GRPCOM — Grupo Paranaense de Comunicação (Curitiba)
- Grupo A Tarde (Salvador de Bahia)
- Grupo Estado de Minas (Belo Horizonte)
- Grupo Gazeta (Vitória, Espirito Santo)
- Grupo Verdes Mares (Fortaleza)
- Grupo Diario de Pernambuco (Recife)
- Peru (2)
- Grupo La República (Lima)
- Agencia Andina de Noticias (Lima)
- Colombia (2)
- Grupo El Tiempo (Bogotá)
- El País (Cali)
- Costa Rica (1)
- Grupo Nación (San José de Costa Rica)
- Guatemala (1)
- Prensa Libre (Ciudad de Guatemala)
- Puerto Rico (1)
- Grupo Ferré Rangel (San Juan de Puerto Rico)
- Paraguay (1)
- Grupo Última Hora (Asunción)
- Venezuela (1)
This connection with the industry, my inclination to spreading knowledge among broader publics, as well as my scientific production, have brought me some recognition and honors from several organisations:
- In years 2007, 2008 and 2009, Spanish daily newspaper El Mundo ranked me as one of “The 500 most influential Spaniards”; specifically, I was included in the Top 25 ranking of influential people in the area of the Internet and new technologies.
- In 2012, the United Nations, through its United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) division, added me to the Global Experts directory, which presents 350 world specialists on several topics, designated according to their standing and accredited quality. I belong to this selective global directory, which is accessed only by invitation, as an international expert in digital media.
- In 2015 his paper presented at the 2015 AEJMC Conference in San Francisco, USA, was awarded 2nd prize on the Latin American Research Awards (LARA) by the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC).
- In 2016 his co-authored paper presented at 2016 AEJMC Conference in Minneapolis, USA, was awarded 1st prize at Robert L. Stevenson Open Paper Competition of 2016 by the AEJMC’s International Communication Division (ICD).
My command of languages is as follows:
- English: proficient skills (written and spoken), C2
1) Institute of Modern Languages, University of Navarra — Level: C2 — Grade 7.5/10 — May 2016
2) Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), Cambridge — Level: C1 — Grade B (overall score: 194) — October 2015
3) English Language Program, The University of Texas at Austin — Level: Advanced — Grade A — December 2014
4) First Certificate in English (FCE), Cambridge — Grade B — 1996
- Portuguese: advanced (spoken), basic (written)
- Basque: advanced (written and spoken)
- Spanish: native speaker